When it comes to cedar cladding, there are a few things to consider. For example, you may not have considered using UK cedar cladding / homegrown cedar cladding and you may be wondering how it’s different to Canadian Cedar, and what its strengths are. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what UK cedar cladding has to offer.
What is Western Red Cedar?
As a timber cladding company in Somerset we are often asked about the different types of timber. Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) is a coniferous tree that is native to the Pacific Northwest region of North America and now widely used for external wood cladding. It typically grows to heights of 50-70 feet tall, with a trunk diameter of up to 2 feet. The bark is thin and reddish-brown in color, and the leaves are green and scale-like in shape. The cones are small, measuring only 1-2 inches in length, and are dark brown in color. Western Red Cedar is an important source of timber for the construction industry, and is also used for making furniture, cabinetry, as well as for cedar cladding for buildings Somerset.
Homegrown Cedar Cladding – Differences
As a timber cladding supplier in Somerset, we know first-hand that cedar cladding is a popular choice for exterior walls, as it is durable, attractive, and relatively affordable. There are two main types of cedar cladding: UK Western Red Cedar and imported Western Red Cedar. Although they are both from the same species, there are some key differences between them.
UK Western Red Cedar is much faster grown than imported Western Red Cedar, and as a result has larger knots. These knots can be fluffy when machined, which can affect the appearance of the cladding. However, they are also much more durable than the imported variety, and will weather to a silver grey colour if left untreated.
If you are looking for a durable and attractive timber cladding option that is affordable, then cedar cladding is a good choice. UK Western Red Cedar is a popular cladding option and we are pleased to be able to offer the best quality product.
The advantages of cedar cladding:
1. Cedar cladding is a natural product that is sourced from renewable forests.
2. It is durable and resistant to decay, making it a long-lasting choice for exterior building projects.
3. Cedar cladding has a high thermal resistance, meaning it can help to regulate the internal temperature of buildings.
4. As a totally natural material, it is non-toxic and does not release harmful fumes or particles into the atmosphere.
5. Homegrown cedar cladding is aesthetically pleasing and can add value to building projects.
6. UK cedar cladding is relatively easy to install and can be fitted quickly and efficiently.
7. UK-grown cedar cladding is environmentally friendly and sustainable, making it an attractive choice for green building projects.
8. Customers say that for its many benefits e.g., durability and aesthetic impact, UK cedar cladding is affordable and cost-effective, making it a popular choice for commercial and residential projects alike.
Our homegrown cedar cladding is From well managed forests FSC®, is reasonably stable with a low shrinkage factor, and is available sawn, planed and profiled in a wide range of thicknesses and lengths.